3 Household Warning Signs You Shouldn’t Ignore

Hi Tech Sept 2019 - 3 Household Warning Signs You Shouldn't Ignore

Bad things happen to good people everyday. Sometimes they’re minor inconveniences, sometimes they are majorly costly, and sometimes they are outright disasters. When things go awry, there’s often no way that it could have been predicted or prevented. 

But sometimes your house might be giving you warning signs and if you know what to look for, you could avoid minor and major issues alike. In no particular order, here are 3 warning signs that a major household issue might be coming your way as well as what to do to prevent further problems. 


Your dryer doesn’t seem to be getting your clothing dry

This is a sneaky problem because it creeps up over time. If you start to notice that your dryer just isn’t getting your clothing dry, then you should definitely not ignore it. This is often caused by a blocked dryer vent. When a dryer vent becomes blocked, lint and debris build up. Combine that with the heat from the dryer and you get a recipe for a fire. 

In fact, clogged dryer vents are the leading cause of house fires in the United States, so this is one issue you should not put off getting fixed.

Hi Tech Duct Cleaning, as well as many other reputable companies around the country, can clean your dryer vent for you if you suspect you might have a blockage. It doesn’t take long and it’s typically not an expensive service either.

But preventing a fire that could cost you your home? That’s priceless. 


It seems like everyone in your home is constantly sick or dealing with allergies

Families pass around colds, especially when there are young children in the home. And of course, you may have seasonal or environmental allergies. Regardless, if your family just can’t shake the sniffles or it seems like no one in the household ever feels well when they’re indoors, there may be something deeper going on.

Sometimes when we hear about problems like this, the culprit turns out to be mold. Mold likes to grow in warm, damp places like basements, around pipes, and (you guessed it) in ductwork. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), mold also grows particularly well when attached to dust or insulation.

That’s unfortunate, because dust and debris build up naturally in ductwork over time. From time to time, we also see builders use certain types of ductwork that incorporate insulation. This means that ductwork is a prime spot for mold. And if you do have mold in your home, it could be making you sick.

If you suspect this may be the case, you should call a mold testing or remediation company and/or a restoration company right away. They will be able to test for mold, locate it if it’s present, and help you get rid of it. Since your family’s health is quite literally at stake, this is one warning sign you should not dismiss.

And of course, make sure you have your ductwork cleaned afterward so that mold spores don’t continue to circulate throughout your home.


You start noticing black marks on your walls

Periodically, we get calls from homeowners who have started to notice black marks or soot on their walls and they aren’t sure where it’s coming from. About 90% of the time, the culprit is candles (especially low-quality ones). The remaining 10% of the time it’s either a result of something else burning (a previous house fire, soot from a fireplace, etc.) or it could be buildup from tobacco smoke or even cooking oil used on high heat.

Whatever the root cause may be, the black streaks should not be ignored. If left alone, they will continue to build up, eventually costing you major bucks to restore your home. Homes with significant soot buildup often need to call in restoration companies, drywallers, painters, and more to get it all cleaned up. As you can imagine, those costs add up quick.

When you first start to notice black marks, immediately stop burning any candles, incense, or similar objects. If anyone in your household smokes, encourage them to do so outside. If the marks are not dark or stained, you may be able to clean them yourself with a quality soap and/or degreaser. Whether you are able to clean it up yourself or you need to call in a company to help, make sure you clean your ductwork afterward so that you don’t continue to circulate soot throughout your home.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but these are some things that we see time and time again. If you head these issues off at the pass, you can avoid spending some cash to fix problems later. And of course, if and when disaster strikes, don’t forget to have your ductwork cleaned to ensure that everything is thoroughly cleaned up and healthy for your family. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top