Duct cleaning is a great service that can bring many benefits to your household and your family. But like anything else in life, it doesn’t solve all of your problems. Also like everything else in life, the key to being satisfied and content is often knowing what is reasonable to expect and what isn’t.
What should you expect when you have your ductwork cleaned?
- Expect that the company you hire will send out a professional, trained crew who will be on time (or at least close to it in the case of traffic jams and other unforeseeable circumstances).
- Expect that the crew will inform you of how they will clean your ductwork, update you at key points along the way, inform you of any issues they may find, and treat your home or property with respect.
- Expect that your ductwork will be clean and disinfected when the crew finishes.
- Expect to see a reduction in the need to dust.
- Expect that you will see a reduction in reactions to environmental allergies such as dust, dust mites, pollen, and similar allergens while inside the home.
- Expect less bacteria, dust, dust mites, and other debris to be circulated throughout your home via the duct system.
What should you not expect when you have your ductwork cleaned?
Duct cleaning can make many things better, but it won’t eliminate every problem you may have in your home. Here are some things that are not reasonable to expect:
- Do not expect duct cleaning to eliminate the need to clean at all. You will still have dust in your home – just hopefully less of it than usual. Also note that in rooms such as the bathroom, you will see more dust and lint than in other rooms because of the fine dust that comes off of bathroom tissue. This is just one example of how what you keep in a room can affect its ability to stay clean vs. other rooms in the home.
- Do not expect to eliminate all pet hair. If you have pets in the home they will continue to shed after your ductwork has been cleaned. All a good duct cleaning company can do is remove the pet hair that was already in your system. You will need to keep up with regular cleanings every few years to help keep the amount of pet hair in your system down.
- Do not expect to eliminate your allergies. Duct cleaning helps to remove allergens from the system, which keeps them from circulating through the rooms in your home. Of course, you still live in your home. This means that people will come in and out, dragging in allergens from the outdoors that cling to clothing and other items. Like pet hair, if you struggle with allergies you should plan to schedule a duct cleaning every couple years to help keep the amount of allergens in your system to a minimum.
You probably see a trend in the items listed above. There are many things that duct cleaning can help to control or reduce, but because a home is lived in and constantly has people and things moving in and out of it, it’s impossible to completely eliminate home contaminants forever. The average home needs its ductwork cleaned every 3-5 years to maintain optimal health. If you have pets, severe allergies, or other health conditions, you may want to increase that to every 2-3 years instead.
If you are in the tri-state area, call Hi Tech Duct Cleaning today at (513)737-3200 or use our online form to get a duct cleaning quote and get a little closer to your optimal healthy home!
If you are not in the tri-state area, please check out the National Air Duct Cleaning Association website where you can find a directory of certified companies to help you out!